The Global Residence Programme (GRP)
The Global Residence Programme aims to attract upstanding high-net-worth individuals who wish to take up tax residence in Malta who are not EU, EEA or Swiss nationals. Successful applicants will benefit from favourable tax advantages such as;
- No chargeable tax on income arising outside of Malta which is not received in Malta.
- No chargeable capital gains tax on any gains arising outside of Malta even if it is received in Malta.
- Tax on income arising outside of Malta which is received in Malta will be charged at a 15% flat rate.
- Capital gains tax on any gains realised and received in Malta will be charged at a 35% flat rate.
Eligibility & Investment Costs
In order to qualify for the Global Residence programme, applicants will have to meet certain criteria.
Applicants must be;
- Over the age of 18
- Be a third-country national, non-EEA and non-Swiss
- Be in good health
- Applicants will need to have international health insurance and provide a full medical report as proof that they are in good health.
- Meet the minimum property investment threshold
- Purchase a property in Malta valued between €220,000 and €275,000 depending on where the property is located or have a rental property with an annual rent between €8,750 and €9,600 annually depending on where the property is.
- In addition, a non-refundable application fee of between €5,500 and €6,000 is payable by the applicant when applying for the Global Residence Programme.